From working with cybersecurity startups to the best approaches for threat hunting, cybersecurity leaders in the Bay Area offered a great stream of quotable wisdom at this year's conference.
Here are a few of the nuggets our team overheard at #SWBAY19.
5 cybersecurity quotes you can use
Will these quotes come in handy for a presentation or talk? Possibly. They are at least ideas to ponder.
1. On working with cybersecurity startups. Maarten Van Horenbeeck,
CISO of Zendesk:
"I look for alignment with the purpose of what a startup company is trying to accomplish. Ethics matter significantly to me. Their behavior needs to treat the issue of cybersecurity like it's something we can solve together."
2. On a cybersecurity threat hunting (CTH) program. Selim Aissi, SVP & CISO of Ellie Mae:
"To start a CTH program, you must set clear objectives or it can fail. And you must train your SOC analysts or engineers really well on CTH operations."
3. On machine learning in security, from the shifting attack vectors panel:
"Machine Learning is a security tool which can help you expedite things and help in predictive use cases, but it is not a panacea.”
4. On Business Email Compromise (BEC) and the enterprise business model operators are using. Stephen Dougherty, U.S. Secret Service:
"They have a C-suite, analysts, even HR functions as part of these BEC criminal organizations. A vigilant population is the best defense. Educate, educate, educate."
5. On paying the ransom after a cyberattack. Elvis Chan, FBI Special Agent:
"If you pay the ransom, you are emboldening them to attack others. And it is a sucker's bet, because about half of the time they will demand a second ransom from you."
Thank you to the security leaders and experts who were part of the 14th annual SecureWorld Bay Area.
The InfoSec community appreciates you!
Now, be sure to check our event schedule to find out where your regional SecureWorld cybersecurity conference is happening.
Looking for more cybersecurity quotes? See 20 Cybersecurity Quotes You Need to Hear.