The Proofpoint global intelligence platform analyzes billions of data points a day to deliver unmatched visibility into attack patterns and methods.
Throughout the fall, researchers have seen an uptick in attackers' use of fraudulent shipping alerts. Recent campaigns have been targeting several industries, including the following:
Historically, shipping-themed phishing messages have spiked dramatically during the holiday shopping season. Which makes this the ideal time to raise end-user awareness and provide tips for avoiding these attacks.
Help employees understand the threat
Organizations and consumers regularly receive valid shipping alerts. This familiarity makes it harder for people to spot messages that imitate well-known brands from operators like UPS, FedEx, DHL, and USPS. Employees need to be aware that fraudulent shipping emails—which generally look legitimate at first glance—can spread malware, compromise account credentials, and steal money from unsuspecting recipients.
The latest Attack Spotlight from Proofpoint covers the trending threat of shipping-themed phishing emails. These free awareness materials provide a real-world example of a fraudulent shipping notification and inform end-users of the ways attackers try to fool them, including the following:
- Sending phony tracking numbers
- Saying a package could not be delivered because nobody could sign for it
- Requesting additional postage so a package can be delivered
- Warning that a package has been held because of an invalid address
- Attaching files that appear to be invoices or claim forms
Download free security awareness materials today
Attack Spotlight resources are available on the Proofpoint website. The following materials are free to use and distribute:
- Ready-to-use email content for communicating to employees
- A security awareness PDF detailing the threat in easy-to-understand terms
- A short awareness module with action-oriented tips for identifying and avoiding fraudulent shipping alerts
Share these security awareness materials to help your employees stay safer at work and at home this holiday season (and year round).